, ,

WORKING SMART – 1

a picture of setting target by WORKING SMART - goal setting
Spread the love

Goal Setting to Getting

What we don’t measure, we can’t manage/grow

 

INTRODUCTION

Research at Yale University – resulted into the following outcomes:

  • Researchers ask members of class of 1953 if they have specific, written, long-term goals.
  • Only 3% did.
  • 20 years later, the researchers contacted the same graduates to see what happened to them.
  • The 3% with goals had lives there were measurable better than the 97% without goals.
  • The 3% who have set specific goals had accumulated more personal wealth then the other 97% put together.

 

WORKING SMART - goal settingWhat is goal? – If you don’t know where you are going, you’re likely to wind up somewhere else”

Goal is what an individual is trying to accomplish through his or her behavior and actions or the purpose towards which an endeavor is directed; an end; an objective.

 

What is goal setting?

– A theory that focuses on identifying the types of goals that are most effective in producing high levels of motivation and performance and why goals have these effects.

– Goal setting in broad terms is the process of deciding on something you want, planning how to get it, and then working towards the objective.

– Goal setting is not wishing or dreaming. It is something that is progressively worked towards. Goal setting is a process; it is not something that decided on a whim.

 

IMPORTANCE OF GOAL SETTING

Why is it so important to set goals?

Every organization, non-profit and for profit firm, has both an overall mission statement, and “corporate” vision statement that defines and drives what the purpose and objectives of the organization is to do. But along with a mission and vision statement, the organization needs to develop and implement sound goals and objectives for achievement. Without goals to achieve, you’re just like a boat on the open ocean without a sail, to be tossed and carried about at will.

  • Achieve more in your life-time
  • Improve overall performance in your life
  • Increase the motivation to achieve most out of life
  • Increase your pride and self-satisfaction
  • Improve self confidence
  • Helps to eliminate the attitudes that holds you back and cause unhappiness

 

Perils of not setting any goals

A goal is a desired result a person or an organization envisions plans and commits to achieve.  It is the desired end-point in some sort of assumed development. Goals are what motivate us to push ourselves to grow and move forward in life.

The problem is that many people live without having any goals and there are some dangers in living this way.

  • We can become passive.
  • It is impossible to do any real evaluation.
  • We can fall into the trap of doing something just for the sake of doing something
    and it is difficult to state why we are doing this or why we are not.
  • We lose motivation because we are not challenged.
  • It becomes easy to settle for a maintenance mode instead of development mode
  • It is easy not to plan ahead.
  • The emphasis becomes upon activity rather than output

 

We offer management and career development trainings specially designed to give you an edge as an individual or organization. Contact us now to register for the best that suits you: 08140768041, 09084824985. You can also email us: info@coinboxlimited.com.ng

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *